Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Running hates me!

I bombed big time.



I was on this running high for the last two, maybe three months. I was doing okay. Not impressed with my time, but certainly it wasn’t anything to turn your nose up at. Then it came time to run 4 miles. My body shut down and said “Woah, what in THE heck are you doing?” My legs gave out and I just gave up.

So I stopped running.

For now anyway....

I’ll go back to running but honestly, with all of my heart, I don’t think I’ll do a half marathon this year. I’ll try to bust out a couple of 5ks, maybe even stretch it to a 10k, but I’m not pressing my luck.

My body hates running and my mind can’t find the enjoyment in it. I tried. I just failed big time. I wish I could explain what my body was thinking. Perhaps I was just frustrated that my feet hurt, or my legs couldn't go long enough. Or perhaps it was all mental....or just plain boring to me. At first I loved it. But then it got old. I suppose my attention span is not that great when it comes to my stamina.

So over the weekend I decided I needed a change with my body and my attitude. I went back to the gym and I feel amazing. I feel like THAT's what I have been missing. Running never gave me the high that I get when I walk out of the gym....sore, tired, sweaty...but incredibly fulfilled.



Perhaps things will change and I'll return to running once I've mastered my goal at the gym, but we'll see. For now I’ll focus more on the gym, less on running and see if I can find whatever it is my fitness brain is looking for.

It all remains to be seen!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm with you. I've tried the running thing, but the large majority of the time, I hated every second of it. I know that there are plenty of people that find their solitude in running mile after mile, but just makes me want to stab everyone within a 10 foot radius. If the gym is what makes you happy, go for it! :)

Tooj said...

What? No running? :( How sad. And here I am, missing it terribly...LOL I have another year before I get to do it again...and by then I'll be 33, nearly 34! *gasp* To think I'm still trying to run at this age....it's been 20 solid years of running.

Gyms gives me rashes I think. I can't hack it in there for long, I get antsy.