Monday, June 14, 2010

Google Wednesday

Today I decided to Google the word IRREGARDLESS.

Irregardless is an informal term meaning regardless or irrespective, which has caused controversy since it first appeared in the early twentieth century. Most dictionaries list it as "incorrect" or "nonstandard".



I choose to Google this word because I am tired of people using this word when there really isn't a meaning to the word. Why can't people say regardless instead of irregardless??? Is it really that difficult? Who in the world would have thought that irregardless meant anything different than regardless?

So many questions.

I did find that the Merriam-Webster online dictionary says, at the very end of the definition of irregardless, to....Use regardless instead.

Go figure.

So which do you prefer to use?

8 comments:

Coloradolady said...

regardless....I don't think I have ever heard anyone use irregardless....go figure is right!

Tooj said...

I just love that you picked "Talk Sex With Sue" as the picture for this post. LOL LOVE HER.

gayle said...

Drives my oldest daughter (English teacher) nuts!!

LV said...

I will settle for just plain old regardless.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I use regardless.

twin2 said...

I'm a regardless kind of person.

國昆國昆 said...

It is no use crying over spilt milk..................................................................

Sue said...

hmmm.... supposably irregardless is incorrect. whodathunk. ;)