Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Google Wednesday

I'm starting a new series called Google Wednesday, because I swear it seems like I'm always Googling something every week!!!! So why not Google on Wednesdays? Hum.... Plus my blog could use a little humor. It was getting a little drab.



Today's Googled word/picture is.....



Tell me....how do you pronounce this niffy gadget??

I'll wait while you think.....

See I was watching the TV show "Till Death" the other day when this very question was asked, all because Joy (the character) said it wrong. However, I had to laugh because I too pronounced it just as she had!

I Googled it and sure enough it's pronounced WHEELBARROW not WheelBARREL. So what in the world is a BARROW?

The term "wheelbarrow" is made of two words: "wheel" and "barrow." "Barrow" is a derivation of the Old English "bearwe" which was a device used for carrying loads. Because the word "barrow" is not in common use in English today, many people incorrectly substitute the word "barrel" in place of "barrow" as this seems to make more sense (possibly because the cavity in a wheelbarrow resembles a half-barrel) even though it is not a correct etymology.

Who knew? I spent all of those years thinking it was barrel, never even once thinking it could possibly be anything different. Perhaps I have never even written the word down or seen it in print.

Tell me how many of you honestly knew...without peeking....that it was a wheelbarrow????

Spill it.

10 comments:

Vegas Linda Lou said...

I'm with you--I've been pronouncing it "wheelbarrel" and probably will continue to. "Wheelbarrow" sounds kind of Baba Wawa. Weally, it does!

Julie said...

I knew.....

Allison said...

::waving arm frantically:: I knew, I knew! I actually have never heard it pronounced "wheelbarrel". Interesting!

Julie said...

Hysterical! I always pronounced it "wheelbarrow" but have definitely heard it the other way, too. :)

LV said...

Danica, where have you been all your life? We had those for years when I was growing up and used them for a lot of dirty reasons. The ones we used did not look this fancy. I trust the storm did not hit near you. That was a terrible thing for Ohio.

廖淑凡 said...

與朋友在一起,分擔的痛苦是減半的痛苦,分享的快樂是加倍的快樂。 ............................................................

Colleen said...

I've always called it a wheelbarrel. :) I still will too even though I know I'm wrong! HA!

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I never knew and have always pronounced it wheelbarrel.

Learned something new. Your google Wednesdays are going to be fun.

burtong said...

當一個人內心能容納兩樣相互衝突的東西,這個人便開始變得有價值了。...............................................................

Tooj said...

I knew it was barrow...but I'm certain that's because I've written it down, seen it in print, etc. In fact, it's one of those that grates on my nerves when people say it wrong. LOL Like those who throw an R into the word WASH....to make it WARSH. Grrrrr. :)