Friday, March 5, 2010

Coincidence

I miss my Dad.

Today I was working out - walking on the treadmill as I can't do much else right now - and I thought about my Dad. See I just finished reading "Dear John" by Nicholas Sparks, and there were parts of that book that reminded me of my relationship with my Dad, or lack there of. Being that he is my only parent left, I want to fix parts of our relationship that have failed. And I mean that with all of my heart.

I finish working out and grab my phone and there is a text message from my Dad:

At 2:49 - TESTING MY PHONE

Then another text message:

At 3:02 - Hi

And then I cry. I cry because he lives in Nevada and I live in Ohio. I cry because I miss him. I cry because he's getting older and is so fragile since his stroke. I cry because there are so many things I want to say and don't have the courage to do so.

So I called him. And we talked for awhile before he had to go. I will be seeing him in May but only for a few short days. I haven't seen him in almost two years. I need him here. I need to know he's safe. So I called my brother and we are talking about buying my Dad a plane ticket to stay with us for a month. My Dad was originally going to fly home with me when I was out there, but he doesn't have the money to do so.

So here I wait on my brother to call me back to see if he wants to go in on a plane ticket. I saw my Dad last in 2008 after his stroke. My brother on the other hand has not seen my Dad since 2006. With three kids it's hard for my brother to travel. So I think this will be good for all of us...to have my Dad here...to show him where Mom is buried (they have been divorced for 21 years, but my Dad loved my Mom and vice versa).

So here's to hoping my Dad comes home for a little while this summer. I need him here.

8 comments:

Julie said...

Big hugs to you! I hope you can get him a plane ticket to come out and visit! I'm sure he'd like that. It's hard being far away from your family.

Coloradolady said...

I hope it works out for you too, and hope you can patch up some of the rough stuff....crossing my fingers for you!

Simi said...

sending you hugs; i certainly would love to have a few days back with my dad ... take advantage of it while you can ...

Crystal said...

Good for you, darlin'. Glad it's seeming to come together. Definitely enjoy your time with him - I can't get enough time with mine, and it's always so sad being apart.

Tooj said...

I hope that he agrees to come be with you. :) He might need you as much as you need him, and it might just be that he's waiting on that invitation. I'm happy to see that you're up and around and doing well. Happy Sunday. :)

LV said...

We all need someone especially family. However, circumstances can make it difficult and time runs out for us. Do whatever you can in this relationship and then if it does not work out, at least you have tried. It takes both sides working together. Good luck.

Colleen said...

I'm hoping that things work out. You need to see him and maybe by having him here, you'll find that courage to tell him what you've been wanting to tell him. I'm sure he'll listen! :) Hugs!

gayle said...

oh honey I hope you get your dad there as soon as you can and that he can stay awhile!! In the mean time call him as much as possible and talk and ask those questions!!