Thursday, February 4, 2010

Over the ovaries.

Everyone knows I had a full hysterectomy two weeks ago yesterday. I'm over being sad about it. As I can't change it. My ovaries are in my past. My future is full of running, crafting and respecting my body.

But yesterday something very bad happened.

My sister, who was the last of us to have all of her female parts intack, lost an ovary to emergency surgery. I guess her ovary twisted and swelled up. Over night it went from a baseball size mass to the size of a brick, if not bigger.

I'm unable to be with her, as I can't drive and my family doesn't want to drag me all over the hospital. I was suppose to go last night to see her, but everyone is tip toeing around me still.

See this sister (along with my other sister), never acknowledged my surgery and never called me after she found out I had surgery. I don't know about you, but when you lose all of your female organs, a call from your sister would be helpful in the recovery process. I feel so alone sometimes and a call from my sisters would have meant the world to me. So I was going to be the bigger of the three of us girls, and go see my sister because I KNOW how much pain she is in, and I can offer some advice because I have learned some tricks in the past two weeks on how to live with the stitches and the pain.

So now the goal is to go see her tomorrow. My oldest sister said she would take me to the hospital. Not that LW wouldn't but I'd rather him not take me...I'd rather do this with my sister if I can.

My sister is fine though. She's 46 and had zero intentions of having any more children. Her son is 20 and that's enough for her. And the doctors do not think the mass was cancerous, which is great news.

It's just so odd that two weeks after I have my ovaries removed, my sister, who showed zero compassion toward me, had an ovary removed. Karma? Or back luck?

7 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I'd say it was karma for sure and you are being a gracious sister for caring enough to want to be there for her. If I were her, I'd be feeling pretty embarrassed about now. There isn't an excuse for her not calling to check on you. Shame on her! It just sounds like she is experiencing payback.

gayle said...

You are def. the better person! Why didn't they call you!!! I would have to ask them!! Take care of yourself!!

Fragrant Liar said...

Hmmm, karma? Not touching that one.

I'm so sorry to learn you had a hysterectomy. I had one, but I'd already had four kids and lived with pain-in-the-ass menstruation, so I was praying for one.

All of the women in my family, from my grandmother who died in childbirth (she bled to death) to my mom, my two sisters and I, and now at least one of my four daughters have all had some sort of female issues where we all ultimately had everything from blood clots to hysterectomies. It's in the genes (and the ovaries), sad to say.

My heart goes out to you, and I hope you heal fast, and that your sister welcomes you with open arms (and some guilt).

LV said...

This is a normal(but a bad) occasion this day and time with families. It does not make it any easier, but we have to pick up the pieces and go on. Rely on your strength and face the issue. Perhaps it would be easier for you to make the move than her. It is hard to understand someone's thinking.

ModernMom said...

Oh you are a sweet sister. I'm sure she will be so grateful that you come and pay her a visit. I wish you both well.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

That's a bit freaky. I'd hate it think it was karma, though. Maybe your sister sensed there was something wrong with her but never mentioned it, and your surgery was too close to home for her. We never know why people act the way they do, so it's best to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hope you're feeling better, my friend. XOXO

Tooj said...

I'm curious to hear how your visit with her went. I hope that through your experience and your visit, the two of you found some common ground. Emotionally since you obviously have much more in common than she's willing to admit.