Thursday, January 7, 2010

Job Opportunities

When it rains it pours…..

For a long time I have been unhappy with my position at work. Not because of what I do, but who I reported to. I had been in my position for almost 7 ½ years doing the same thing day in and day out. I loved what I did and I loved the manager that hired me. Over the 7 ½ years I was in that position I had four different managers, the last one being someone who was difficult to work with. He hated our team. He treated us with disrespect and made our lives pure hell (there are many times I could have gone to HR over his comments). He was as evil as they get. I have never in my life worked with a manager who was so difficult.

So then in October there was the opportunity to leave my team and move to another team, totally leaving behind the technical work I did before. But at that point, I would have done anything to get out from under the evil manager. I absolutely love my new manager. She’s amazing, thoughtful, commanding and envisions the future….something I never had with my previous manager. I don’t absolutely love what I do, but I love the people I work with. I love my team. I love the communication we have on our team. And I love the respect and support I get from my team and manager. This is not my forever dream job, but it’s a job and I’m grateful.

But now I have two wonderful job opportunities that have been presented to me.

One is to lead the help desk and work side by side with the manager on building process and procedures to help support the team (something I am working on my second bachelors degree for!). I would be second in command to my manager and would be the liaison between the business and the IT areas. A definite promotion is in my future if I can prove I have the leadership skills. I was sought out for this position by the manager himself. He even pulled me aside yesterday to give me more information.

The second position is to lead the process improvement to move an application onto our test team, which is a team my manager just took over. Right now I am the lead on that project and building process diagrams and future state diagrams to present to the management team. I’m excited about this endeavor. Testing is my forte…something I am good at and something I love. My manager has promised me a spot on the testing team as the lead for this application (my old application that I supported for 7 ½ years!). I couldn’t be more happier about this, however this position does not have potential for a promotion…at least not yet.

So what’s a girl to do? It’s not about money, but it is. I’m trying to command my future financially. I don’t necessarily want to climb the corporate latter, but I’d sure like to bump up a position or two. Both positions have to be approved through the AVP (associate vice president) because they are not hiring externally for these positions so for all I know both could be shot down. But in the mean time I’ve been asked to make a choice.

I have until the end of the week to decide. Oh.My.

What will I do?

8 comments:

Liz said...

That's a wonderful problem to have! (and I love the fact that you'd still be at NW!) Which do you think would make you the most happy? I think job #2 sounds like the best option as you'll keep your manager you love and you'll be doing something you really enjoy.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

The choice will have to be ultimately yours but the second one sounds like you have a passion for it and one that you are very good at.

It is a huge compliment to be recommended and noticed by management. The plus for the first position is that you would be able to tailor the position the way you'd want it to be with the hope of further promotions.

Would you get bored of #2? Would you have to deal with difficult managers in #1?

I know I wasn't much help but I'm proud of you for having both of those opportunities.

jannypie said...

i have no idea but yay either way!

LV said...

The hardest part in this type situation is just making a decision. Once you do that, everything else falls in place. You have to be sure what YOU really want the most. Then go for it. This is something you alone will have to work out.

Tooj said...

Ugh. I suppose the fact that you have two GOOD choices and not "take it or walk" ultimatums is a good thing, right? :) I hope you've made a decision you feel comfortable with. Whichever you choose, make the most of it and don't dwell on what you didn't choose. What you can't change is not worth fretting over!

Happy Thursday soon to be Friday.

Fragrant Liar said...

Yeah, you are in an enviable position. I can't really give good advice on this since I'm sure there are many details you left out of the post, but perhaps right now, the position in line with your bachelor's is the way to go?

You've probably already made your decision, since it looks like you needed to give them an answer yesterday. I hope you're satisfied you've made the right choice. Let us know!

And congrats!!!

ModernMom said...

Sound slike you have a to choose between 2 great jobs! Best of ouck my friend:)

marion said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Lucy
http://dataentryjob-s.com