Monday, December 14, 2009

Missing Piece

I’m so lucky. I obviously don’t have children of my own, but LW has the greatest daughters. I talk about Kassidy all of the time, only because she’s here with us in Ohio. But Lauren, who lives in Arizona, hasn’t been home since LW and I had gotten serious. He’s been making the trips to Arizona to see her. So I have never physically met her.

But last night she texted me to talk about Christmas and the very last text from her made me cry. It said: “I appreciate it all. I was just telling Craig how awesome you are because you haven’t even met me yet and you treat me so well and you take care of me and you are here when I need to talk. It’s just so wonderful. Thanks Ms. Danica a lot.”

She’s dying to get me something for Christmas and I keep telling her to save her money for college (she graduates in May) and that all I need is to know she appreciates how much I love her. Those few words meant the world to me. She’s such a beautiful, smart young woman. She means so much to me. And I only wish that all four of us could be together all of the time. I know soon she’s going to grow into her own family, but I hope she never forgets us. I can’t wait to be a mother to those girls (and a grandmother some day!). While I wish I had my own children, LW has given me the most amazing gift…a family.

I am truly blessed!

7 comments:

Colleen said...

Okay, make me cry why don't you??? Lauren sounds like a wonderful young lady - Mr. LW raised them right. I still smile though when I hear them call you Ms. Danica! :) Glad that you have a great new family! :)

Julie said...

That's so sweet. When is she going to come for a visit?

Danica said...

Julie she will be home in May or June for a graduation party we plan to throw for her.

Julie said...

That is so wonderful! They are very lucky to have you in their lives!

Tooj said...

What wonderful words to hear from a girl who has obviously grown up learning appreciation for special people. What a beautiful way to start off a relationship.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I'm so thrilled that Lauren and Kassidy have you! You are the missing piece in their lives as well.

I can't wait until you are all together. The graduation party sounds like a blast!!

Will she be moving out to your area or will she stay in AZ?

Danica said...

@CCD I think she's staying in AZ for college. She found a smaller Christian College to attend and she seems to really want to go there more than Ohio State or Arizona State. :-(