Wednesday, December 16, 2009

2010 Goals

2010 is going to be full of change. I’ve decided to spend 12 months hunkering down on my finances and putting my physical health first.

My top 10 list of things I am truly going to try to attempt are:

1. Train to run a half marathon (race to be held in October 2012 – but wanting to shoot for October 2011). I’m going for distance, not time.

2. I’m going to have my nails removed. It’s an expense that is not needed. I love them but quite honestly I am too hard on them and I really just don’t have the time for maintaining them at the moment.

3. Take one vacation instead of two. I’m blessed that I can afford more than one vacation a year, but this coming year we decided to do a family vacation to Arizona for a week and a half to see LW’s daughter graduate. We’ll do some weekend get-a-ways but if we want to head to Paris in 2011 we must not dip into the savings for additional vacation fun next year.

4. Spend more time crafting gifts and cards. My goal is to make every birthday, anniversary, get well, sympathy, holiday card next year.

5. Take more classes to work towards my second bachelors degree. I have one down, 7 to go!

6. Not purchase a single pair of pants/shorts/capris (other than PJs – a secret obsession of mine) until I have lost at least 8-10 pounds. Weigh in day, January 2nd.

7. Spend more time in the gym with the weights.

8. Pack my lunch every day but once/twice in a month (we have team lunches or birthday lunches at least once a month). I’m pretty good at this now, but I want to see if I can cut back even more. Not only is it easy on the wallet, it’s good for your health!

9. Not purchase a new car! I want one so bad I can taste it. I have 15 months left to pay on my car and my goal is to get it paid off and drive it for 6/8 months after that. This is really hard for me because I have had my car for awhile and I so badly want a new one, but LW is teaching me the art of paying off a car and reaping the financial benefit. He’s so right! I can see dollar signs.

10. Track my spending. I use Quicken at home but I don’t pay attention to where the money is going. I’m saving, but not nearly enough. I can do better, so my goal is to double what I’m saving now and find a better way to make ‘do’ with what I have. If I did this for one year, think of the possibilities! I have a spreadsheet built and ready to be used starting in January. I have already listed my expenses vs my income vs my savings. I clearly see some change is needed!

So to track my goals, I plan to do a blog update at the end of every month. I am going to become accountable and find better ways of managing my money and managing my health. It’s not about being skinny, but being healthy.

January 2nd I will do a financial and physical weigh in.

Then it’s all up to me to make the necessary changes. I know I can do this. It’s what is truly best for me.

What are your goals/plans for 2010?

10 comments:

Trisha R Jackson said...

Um, hello! Isn't getting married one of them?

Julie said...

Good luck!!!!!

Danica said...

LOL Trisha!!!! Nah I'll save that for 2011.

A Stitch In Thyme said...

I feel taking an iventory of what your goals are whether personal, financial or spiritual is an ongoing task. It keeps it real for us and puts in check when we wobble outside the lines of acceptability. Best of luck!! Hugs. Tammy

ModernMom said...

What a great idea to set some goals like that!!
Health first for me too..hoping peace will follow:)

Colleen said...

I think you're goals are totally doable. I would only change one - why wait until 2011 or 2012 for a half marathon? It can easily be done in 2010. Please let me help you get there!~ :)

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I love those goals that you've set...especially the one vacation goal just so that you can have some fun in AZ with Lauren's graduation. Plus, Paris in 2011....well worth it!

I'm not quite sure where to start with my goals because first things first....I need a job!

Liz said...

I think those are great goals for 2010. You'll have to make an exception for lunch out with me sometime :)

Wendy said...

I'm with Colleen. October 2010 is so do-able. I'll run with you. :-) I cried when I crossed the finish line - it was such an emotional feat for me. Granted, I'm fairly active, but I didn't get serious training for it until July.

Danica said...

I think I'm just scared to run. I have such a bad knee that I think it will take longer to train than maybe I think. Wendy and Colleen I'm so gonna lean on you guys for help after surgery. :-)

Liz I'll have lunch with you every day. :-)