Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My Mother's Daughter

I am my Mother’s daughter.

I love Tootsie Rolls and ice cream, not necessarily in that order and definitely not together.

If you invite me to ice cream, I will go.

If you have ice cream at a party, I will eat it before the cake.

If you want to make me happy on a crappy day at work, leave a few Tootsie Rolls on my desk.

If there is a Tootsie Roll in a candy dish, I will fight to the death to eat it.

I will eat a Tootsie Roll before I would eat a piece of chocolate.

My Mom was a lover of Tootsie Rolls and ice cream. When she was in the hospital the one thing that would make her happy were Tootsie Rolls. She always said they made everything better. Every night after work on my way to the hospital, I would stop in the gift shop and get her Tootsie Rolls. While she would never eat all of them, knowing they were there was a comfort to her.

My Mom also loved ice cream. She ate ice cream like it was no one’s business, yet she somehow kept the weight off (anorexia will do that to you). Nightly my Mom would have a scoop or two OR a big strawberry shake that would take her a week to drink (she would freeze them and eat them like that). When she was in the hospital I would always bring her a strawberry shake as well. Shakes came to an end early in her cancer treatment/diagnosis as they were making her constipated. Oppss I stopped my Mom up!

There are many more ways in which I am just like my Mom, but these two ways are on the top of the list.

I will always be my Mother’s daughter.

8 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

That's the sweetest...to see that you share the love of things that mattered the most to your mom. You'd really fight for the last Tootsie roll? What about Tootsie pops?

LV said...

What a lovely tribute to your mother. I think it is so sweet that your mom was one you are proud to be like. So many people are not that blessed this day and time with great moms. Sounds to me like you are doing just fine with your life today. Blessings to you.

Kristen said...

Since you are such a sweet person, I can invision your mother perfectly. I know she is proud of you!!!!!

jannypie said...

:hugs:
Funny how the small things can remind us most of what we miss.

Andrea said...

Every day I find one more reason I am am my mother's daughter too.

You brought tears to my eyes this morning.

(((HUGS)))

Fragrant Liar said...

I'm with you. As much as my mom and I had our issues when I was younger, we are best friends now, and I would be proud to be like her.

Vegas Linda Lou said...

What a loving tribute, Danica. Isn't it cool how our deceased relatives live on through us? And we'll live on through our offspring, too.

Tooj said...

I think biting into a tootsie that got too hard is one of the worst candy experiences to have. I'm happy to see that you've got some of your mom left in you. Eat away, woman.