Thursday, August 13, 2009

Work Place DRAMA

The team dynamic is down at work.

The mood is sour.

The air is musky.

And my co-worker declared she has no friends at work.

::sigh::

How do you turn a negative person into someone who thinks positively and shows team spirit?

I’m struggling at work lately. Not because I hate my job (although I do think I’m better suited to do something else thus the reason I’m going back to school), but because some team members (one in particular) have become so negative that they are IMPOSSIBLE to work with. Said team member, hoards all of the work, doesn’t talk to anyone much anymore, never has anything nice to say, and the list goes on and on and on.

I understand she’s not happy at work. It’s a dog eat dog world in IT these days. Projects are few and far between. We are fighting for work and we are fighting to make a name for ourselves. I understand when put in that situation, that team dynamic’s can change, people’s attitudes go south and negativity flares like wild fire. BUT does that give you the right to treat me like any less of a person? Should you flash your rudeness for all to see? I remind myself that rude, negative people are the first to go when re-orgs happen. And where I work…re-orgs happen every year at the very minimum.

I’m trying to remain positive…keep my hopes up. Our future is bleak at work and I get that, but you know what? I still come into work every day, hold my head high and try with all I have to portray a positive energy. So when I walk by said co-worker’s desk every day, I say HI and keep on trucking. I don’t need to be sucked into an energy that would only bring me down.

2 comments:

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

That's the best thing to do...do you and not worry about anyone else and their trifling issues.

Hang in there!

Grumpy, M.D. said...

That's all you can do. Every work place has shitty days, but they'll happen no matter what you do, so might as well try to handle them with a good view than bad.