Sunday, August 23, 2009

This weekend our life changed....

I'll start from the beginning....

Thursday night LW admitted to me that he had been having chest pains since Weds. My instinct was to stop what I was doing and rush him to the hospital. He wasn't having it. He said that if he felt bad on Friday that we would go straight to the hospital. Friday morning he said he was fine. Friday after work he asked me to please take him to the hospital. The chest pains had gotten worse.

As much as I wanted to yell and scream at him for being so thoughtless about his health, I went into a mode I has only visited when I was caring for my Mom in the hospital. When we arrived at the ER they immediately took him back...there was no waiting and thank God because the ER was PACKED with people.

He was rushed into an EKG, which turned out to be fine. However his blood pressure was 187/120. Dangerously high. Since his heart checked out okay, they sent us back to the waiting room, where we waited for about 45 mins for him to get a bed in the back.

After blood work came back negative the doctor then ordered nitrogen to get his blood pressure down. It took two doses to get in down, but along came the most horrific headaches he said he has ever had. For that he was given morphine. Didn't help. Nothing helped his headache. My heart ached for him. For the first time ever I watched LW suffer. Nothing I could do or say could fix the pain he was in.

As I sat there with him waiting for him to be moved to a room, my heart became heavy. I remembered sitting next to my Mom while she had her chemo treatments. I remembered the frantic calls I made to family memebers each and every time my Mom was rushed to the ER. I remember what it felt like losing her. How a part of me was lost and lonely. I remembered what it felt like to not be able to do a damn thing to help her.

And there I sat watching LW not knowing if his blood pressure would cause a stroke. Not knowing if I would ever marry this man. I was so overcome with emotion. At that very moment I learned just how deep my love for LW ran. How I don't want to live the rest of my life without him. How I will do whatever I can to get him through this.

My love is that deep.

After he settled into a room I went home to pack him a bag. I slept as best as I could and headed to the hospital bright and early the next day so that I could talk to the doctors. He did well over night and if his stress test came out fine and his BP stayed down he could go home. All turned out well so around 5:30 in the evening he was discharged. The best day ever.

We talked when we got home. How we need to eat better and exercise more. We are going to do everything we can to change some of the things in our life for the better. In those very long 24 hours we learned so many important things about us, our relationship, and how we can get through anything so long as we do it together.

I am blessed to have him in my life. Every day I'm going to remind him of that.

10 comments:

Liz said...

I am so glad that he's ok. And I'm glad that he has someone who cares so much about him. You two are so good for each other!

Mike Golch said...

I know the feeling.

Tooj said...

Oh my goodness. I sincerely hope that you both remember to remind one another of our health AND love. I also hope that he's feeling much better by this Sunday evening and that you've sufficiently hovered over him. :) Enjoy your days while he's lying low....chat, smile, laugh, be still. Just enjoy. Have a good start to this coming week.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

Scary but yet, I think that your love definitely withstood the test of how deep it really is for the both of you. You know that it's love when you would be willing to take his pain and experience it instead.

Boo also has high blood pressure so he's on a vitamin regimen instead of taking the blood pressure pills. It just wasn't something that he wanted to commit to. Plus, he doesn't eat pork and everything else is low sodium or no sodium. It has modified how I cook quite a bit but I tell myself that it's for us both. I couldn't live without him either.

I'm glad that he's been released and doing better. I will be praying that is an easy to reach transition for you both and that he'll get better and better.

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

So glad that he is Ok...I have just found your blog and will be here often...I love your design....I love your words....

Julie said...

So glad he's okay.

jannypie said...

How scary! I can remember those trips all too well :-( The fear, the worry, the anxiety. You guys will be as good for each other's health as you are for your hearts!

Emily said...

I'm so glad he's ok!! We missed you Saturday night!!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Wow. It's good that the wake-up call wasn't anything worse than it was. I always say that it's better to recognize when the universe taps you on the shoulder, because if you don't pay attention, it will slap you in the face. I'm glad he's okay and that you've come away from the experience more in love than ever before. Positive vibes to the both of you!

XOXO

Colleen said...

I'm so glad that he's alright! Isn't it crazy how something like this will make you realize how much you truly love someone! :)