Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Toby

Toby is a black lab that circles the 2nd floor of the hospital where I volunteer. He's a service dog volunteer. He has to be the most adorable thing ever. Every Tuesday I watch as Toby enters into a room, slides his head upon the bed and waits for the touch of a sick patient...a healing touch...a touch that emotionally tells the patient that they can fight whatever it is that ails them.

Toby brings happiness.

I walk past the rooms where Toby has been and you can hear the patients and their families talk about how 'cute that dog was'. The smiles on the each patient's face is priceless. You can't ask for anything better to heal the saddness that comes with being cooped up in a hospital bed. Many of these patients will spend days if not weeks in the hospital, so Toby's sweet face reminds them that there is hope.

I've never personally met Toby. I see Toby. I hear Toby's claws hit the floor as he walks down the hall. I see Toby's tail wag as a patient reaches out their hand to touch his soft fur. I see the happiness on the faces of the volunteer's who take Toby around, because the very reason we volunteer is to help those that can't help themselves.

What a great world it is when we can help people forget their pain, even if it is only for a moment.

7 comments:

ModernMom said...

Found you through 47 and Starting Over.
I love LOVE this post. What a great story:) Thanks so much for sharing:)

hopeful #1 said...

How touching...

Animals are amazing. They have such affection that is just so contagious and addicting. How great to experience that!!

Emily said...

Ditto pp... animals ARE amazing and I think it's wonderful when they can visit with sick patients in hospitals and nursing homes. They are so calming and so sweet - who wouldn't smile and feel better after spending time with a doggie or kitty? :)

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I wouldn't know what I'd do without my furbabies. They have brought some smiles to my face through the tears. They love so unconditionally.

Toby is a great example of what healing can do through the touch of a dog or even a lick on the cheek. Hope Toby continues to make his rounds.

Colleen said...

Yay for Toby! That's awesome that he's doing something so wonderful for people who need a little lift. And I'm sure he gets quite a kick out of it too!

Tooj said...

What a touching story. And now I want Toby. Is he for sale?

AMIT said...

Really a heart touching one.

Web hosting india