Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A lunch that changed my life.

One year ago today LW and I met at a lunch that was set up by my friend Dee. So LW and I wouldn’t be scared, Dee and her husband (he works in the next building over) met us for lunch at the Frog, Bear, Wild Boar Bar. I remember walking to the restaurant with Dee, nervous, scared half out of my mind. LW didn’t know who I was…he didn’t know what I looked like. He only knew I was blonde and that we worked on the same floor for a couple of years. Still, he couldn’t place me without seeing me.

Dee, her husband and I were seated maybe 10 minutes before LW came walking through the door (he was running late from a meeting). When LW walked through the door, he had the biggest smile on his face. I think at that moment he was finally able to place who I was. Lunch obviously turned out fantastic because a year later we are going to lunch at the same restaurant. This time I won’t be so nervous.

Rewind:
Many don’t know how I tracked LW down. About three years ago when I was going through my divorce I noticed him in the hallways of my floor. He would walk past my cubicle to get to the elevator or even to go to the bathroom. I would eye him, but I was not in a state to introduce myself as I was just divorced and going through a nasty break up with the first man I dated during and after my divorce (so not a good idea to date during a divorce or too soon after a divorce). I digress…

A few months later LW moved off of my floor, never to be seen again...or so I thought! I later found out he moved into a different building, and wouldn’t you know it, a few months later I was moving to the same building he was in….different floors. I would catch him on the elevator every now and again, but still never had the nerve to ask him out.

Then a few months later (notice a trend here?) I find out he works directly with my friend Dee. Who knew!!! I asked her if she knew him….she said yes….I asked her if she could get the scoop…is he single, is he looking, etc. She got the scoop, set up the lunch, and today we are one year into our beautiful relationship.

It’s funny when we see Dee now, because she did an amazing thing and we always let her know how appreciative we are of her. She’s like a Mom to me, so if she approves of LW, I know that my Mom would too.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Happy Anniversary! I hope you have a great lunch today :)

hopeful #1 said...

What a sweet, sort of funny, story... I love how things like this work out!!! I'm so happy for you!

LV said...

Thanks for sharing such a great love story. I love to hear how total strangers can become friends.

Julie said...

Happy Anniversary! May it be the first of many....

Now, can you go trolling for a guy for me on one of those floors at NW?

Danica said...

OMG Julie I almost spit my cookie outta my mouth!

Coloradolady said...

How could anyone not aprove of LW when it is clear how happy you two make each other. Sweet post.

Sarah said...

happy A day! many more to come!

Colleen said...

What a great story! Hope you have many more lunch dates on May 6th at Frog Bear!