Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Good-bye George

Tonight I will be attending the memorial service for a long lost friend of mine who died suddenly last week at the age of 38 from a massive heart attack. When I read his obituary on Sunday a bunch of emotions raced through me. I almost didn’t recognize his picture. He looked different.

I couldn’t believe I hadn’t seen him in five years. We just lost touch. There’s no easy explanation for why we hadn’t seen each other…no fight, no ill words. I last spoke with him on the phone in March of this year when he was calling to tell me he wouldn’t be attending my St. Patty’s Day party because he had to go out of town for a death in the family. But he assured me this summer we would all get together and rekindle our lost friendships (there was a gaggle of us). I couldn’t have been more excited.

I’m not sure what to say to his wife tonight. I haven’t seen her in the same amount of time. His son (technically step son, but he raised that young man) is now a teenager. What will I say to him?

George was always rough around the edges, soft in the middle. He was a programmer, a base guitarist, a father, a son, a husband, a friend. I grew to like George when we worked together over 10 years ago in the Finance Department of a local hospital. He spent time teaching me and others and he never got upset if you asked him the same question 500 times. He made you laugh and always we would throw things over the cubicle walls to each other.

We also became friends outside of work and often times we would get together with our families for cookouts, parties, happy hours, 4th of July events, you name it.

I miss him even more knowing I’ll never get the chance to tell him the impact he made on my life.

I’ve learned that life is too short. Tomorrow may never come.

God Bless you George

5 comments:

Allison said...

((HUGS)) Losing a friend is incredibly hard. You and George's family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Chocolate Covered Daydreams said...

I'm sorry that you weren't able to see George once again. As for what you will say...I think the words will come naturally but if I wanted to hear anything after losing a loved one, I'd want to hear the impact that that person has made in my life. So, everything that you posted about George here, tell his wife and son. I'm sure that would be a comfort to them.

travel girl said...

So sorry sweetie1

Colleen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss Danica. Big hugs!

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Danica!!!